Networker

Re: [Networker] Merits of Linux and Solaris

2004-02-17 03:18:42
Subject: Re: [Networker] Merits of Linux and Solaris
From: "Tarjei T. Jensen" <tarjei.jensen AT AKERKVAERNER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 01:47:47 -0500
Oscar Olsson  wrote:
>Considering the cost of hardware, and the availability of hardware, plus
>the speed of the hardware compared to equivalent SPARC hardware, an x86 or
>IA64 based platform seems very appealing.

Certainly, if your time has no value. To be honest, it is correct if you
buy from a vendor which supports Linux+hardware like Unix vendors supports
their Unix+hardware. The moment operating system and hardware comes from
different vendors, we are back to finger pointing.

>Also, that argument is old and maybe not even valid any more. Linux has
>been just as stable, but faster, if it has been configured correctly. WIth
>the 2.6 kernel series, that will probably be even more true in the future.
>The problem has been support for the OS and application vendor
>certification.

We have heard this for a long time. Then one does a kernel upgrade to fix
some security issues. And then things begin to break.

> In my opinion, this has been solved now since RedHat
>enterprise linux is around. You get the same support you would expect from
>any commercial OS-vendor. And plenty of applications have been certified,
>including Oracle.

I have no experience with them.

greetings,