Networker

[Networker] Merits of Linux and Solaris

2004-02-16 18:33:48
Subject: [Networker] Merits of Linux and Solaris
From: Matthew Huff <mhuff AT OX DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 11:30:31 -0500
The real strength of Solaris/Sparc is the ability for the machine to
handle extreme stress;i.e, high CPU, pushing drivers/hardware to their
max, etc. I've seen and know numbers of instances where linux system
under stress have crashed. And for support, even when you go with the
major vendors, you are very likely to get into fingerpointing between
vendors of fiber cards, ethernet cards, system vendors and RedHat. How
much is your time worth?

Also, if you end up buying a "Certified System" such as an IBM server
with RHEL, the cost is usually GREATER than equivelent sparc systems
now. The fact that you already have a server makes that moot. Anything
you buy is a cost you would otherwise avoid. The 450 has plenty of CPU
to run Legato. Also, it's large amount of internal drives (20) means you
can have plenty of ways to offload disk I/O. Also, it has plenty of PCI
slots to add addition scsi/fibre cards.

The real advantange of Linux is it's support of esoteric devices that
Solaris will never support. However, if all you need is already in the
box, what advantage does Linux offer? I'm sure what is being pushed is
consolidated administration. However, if your Legato server is already
setup, what sysadmin work really will need to be done on it?

--
Matthew Huff           | One Manhattanville Rd
Director of Operations | Purchase, NY 10577