Networker

Re: [Networker] Disaster Recovery of RMAN only Client

2004-02-13 17:45:11
Subject: Re: [Networker] Disaster Recovery of RMAN only Client
From: "Mark Bradshaw (BTOpenWorld)" <notthehoople AT BTOPENWORLD DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 22:49:11 +0000
Hi Mike,

If you are not running *any* scheduled backups on your rman client (i.e. You
are not running any scheduled filesystem backups and you are not using
NetWorker to schedule your rman backups) then NetWorker will not be backing
up the index of the rman client.

Also, your "savegrp -v -O -l full <groupname>" will make NetWorker save the
client indexes of any clients defined in "groupname". Reading between the
lines of what you are saying I'm guessing that your rman client is not in
this group so its client index is not being saved. If this is the case then
this is why the client index cannot be recovered with nsrck -L7.

While it is true that rman saves information about the backup in an Oracle
recovery catalogue and/or in the database controlfile, NetWorker also stores
information about the backup in the client index for the rman client. If you
lose this index you cannot recover using rman until you recreate it - this
is why your recovery failed until you scanned the tape in.

Best bet is to make sure the client index of the rman client is saved prior
to deleting all the indexes. This will let you recover your client index
using nsrck -L7 and do your rman recovery without having to scan tapes.

Hope this helps!

Mark