Networker

Re: [Networker] NDMP for NAS devices- do you like it?

2004-02-12 11:59:24
Subject: Re: [Networker] NDMP for NAS devices- do you like it?
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 08:59:06 -0800

> Many NAS products have an internal file system that allows use of both NFS
> and CIFS; that is, you could use the same NAS volume at the same time on
> both Windows (via CIFS) and UNIX (via NFS).  CIFS and NFS have different
> metadata (file permissions, ownership, etc.)  So the NAS file system must
> store both types of metadata for each file.  The key here is that, if you
> access this NAS file system via CIFS, you 'see' only CIFS metadata; if you
> access via NFS, you see only NFS metadata.
>
> So, here's the rub: if you do your backups via a mounted file share protocol
> (CIFS or NFS), you save that file share protocol's metadata ONLY.  So, if
> you do a restore, you wipe out the other protocol's metadata.

At least for Netapp, this doesn't have to be true.  From one of their
tech notes...
http://www.netapp.com/tech_library/3014.html#47

NetApp stores UNIX metadata (file attributes) in a way that appears to
Windows clients as NTFS-style extended attributes. Although there is
currently no analogous way in which an NFS client can access the
NTFS-style ACLs associated with a file (and therefore, NFS-based backup
will overlook such information, making it ill-advised in multiprotocol
environments), a Windows-based CIFS client can backup and restore all
metadata, including the UNIX metadata, enabling the use of popular
Windows-based third-party backup software such as Cheyenne's ArcServe or
Seagate's BackupExec. (NetApp is also working with these vendors, and
others, to enhance Windows-based backup software alternatives for NetApp
filers.)

I've never had a CIFS enabled filer that I had to backup with Networker,
so I don't know if Networker has any issues with this method or not.