Networker

Re: [Networker] Disaster Recovery

2004-02-10 11:49:17
Subject: Re: [Networker] Disaster Recovery
From: "Andrewjeski, Mike - GPM" <Mike.Andrewjeski AT GREENPOINT DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 08:48:59 -0800
We basically are doing the same.

-----Original Message-----
From: Evan Gold [mailto:egold AT FSA DOT COM]
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 8:02 AM
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU

i dont waste time rebuilding the legato server, i just rebuild the OS
manually and use scanner to get the data from the clones.
basically i use jumpstart flash to reinstall the OS image at my dr site or
reinstall from cdroms , install legato server on the client from cdrom then
use scanner to get my data back like so:

i run a "mminfo -a" everyday, save it to a remote location and email it to
myself.
then in DR i order the last months of tapes from our tape vault then use, i
then look at the mminfo -a output for the client i want and get the last
clone tape of it.
load that tape in the drive, make a giant disk volume called /restore and
restore the clients data from that tape to the restore folder, then i copy
the data back to its original location and im done. Ive tested this many
times in DR and its works fine, i can rebuild a machine in less than 24
hours:

#Legato command to restore data from tapes:
#scanner -c myclient /dev/rmt/0mbn -x /usr/lib/nsr/uasm -rv -m /=/restore

if anyone has a better idea id love to know about it.

regards,
Evan

             Fredrik W
             <firecracker@HOME
             .SE>                                                       To
             Sent by: Legato           NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
             NetWorker                                                  cc
             discussion
             <NETWORKER@LISTMA                                     Subject
             IL.TEMPLE.EDU>            [Networker] Disaster Recovery

             02/10/2004 09:43
             AM

             Please respond to
             Legato NetWorker
                discussion
             <NETWORKER@LISTMA
              IL.TEMPLE.EDU>;
             Please respond to
                 Fredrik W
             <firecracker@HOME
                   .SE>

Hi!
What is the best distaster recover plan to use when you running a
Networker site?

We have around 40 Win 2000 servers, a couple Linux Red Hat and Sun Solaris.
We have using Symantec Ghost to make an image of the systems but it is
hard to have time to update these images and therefor we need a better
disaster plan.

Perhaps we should use "ghost" to make a simple image for each hardware
configuration we have and after useing it we could use Netorker to recover
everything else on the server.

Then we have Networker Recover Manager. Has anyone used it? is it a good
way to solve the disaster recovery ?
There is versions for Win 2000 and Solaris.. But how will I do with my
Linux servers?

Does you have any better disaster strategy?

Kind regards
Fredrik W