Networker

Re: [Networker] 5 questions on library pickers and devices?

2004-02-07 19:18:21
Subject: Re: [Networker] 5 questions on library pickers and devices?
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 16:18:20 -0800
> I think you're correct -- I had misunderstood something that I read
> a while back in the "Big Book of SCSI".  The physical ordering issue is
> only a problem when you're mixing devices of different widths (8 & 16 bit
> SCSI devices).  I think we're in agreement about the rest of the stuff,
> and thanks for the reminder regarding why sync is so much faster than async.

I was reading through the SCSI FAQ because of this thread, and while
device ordering (one device in front of another) isn't a concern, the
distance of devices from the initiator is.

Async devices (due to the latency wait of the acknowledgments) benefit
from reducing the distance as much as possible.  So having the async
device "first" is probably best for speed.

Of course since we're talking about the robot, this shouldn't matter
much anyway because the traffic to it should be only a tiny fraction of
that to the drives, and the "speed" of the robot traffic is irrelevant.