Networker

Re: [Networker] Anyone running Storagetek on Redhat Linux?

2004-02-05 10:49:15
Subject: Re: [Networker] Anyone running Storagetek on Redhat Linux?
From: Yura Pismerov <ypismerov AT TUCOWS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 10:49:05 -0500
   The version of Networker you run is relatively out-of-date.
   IIRC, there were quite a few bug fixes related to the tape devices
in Linux since that time.
   You may want consider upgrade to 6.1.4 which is the latest (and
apparently last one) maintenance release of the 6.x branch.

George Sinclair wrote:

Hi,

We continue to have problems with "Read open error, Device or resource
busy" messages NetWorker reports on our LTO Ultrium drives in our
Storagetek L80 library. We're running this on a storagenode host (Redhat
Linux 7.3) with NetWorker 6.1.1. It typically will occur on any one of
the 4 drives. As a result, the tape never loads properly, but any other
tape(s) that do load before this error occurs will be writing happily.
At this point, the sg driver for the picker dissappears, and the host
can no longer communicate with the picker. If I check the system log, I
see an aic7xxx abort message and all kinds of other junk in there. The
inquire program does not report the picker. This happens every day now.
Rebooting the host seems to restore everything.

Storagetek is not being very helpful on this issue. Is there something
in Legato that would be causing this? I'm inclined to think that Legato
is simply responding to something that's happening on the bus and is not
the cause. In other words, the problem is lower level. Legato assumes a
healthy SCSI bus, so I have my doubts they will be any more helpful.

Please, if someone is ussing a Storagetek library with LTO drives on
Linux Redhat, could you respond?

Thanks.

George

Yuri Pismerov, Sr. System Administrator,
TUCOWS.COM INC. (416) 535-0123  ext. 1352