Networker

Re: [Networker] I just don't seem to get it... Are there other do c resources?

2004-01-15 14:18:45
Subject: Re: [Networker] I just don't seem to get it... Are there other do c resources?
From: "Werth, Dave" <dave.werth AT GARMIN DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 12:33:22 -0600
The way we do our Oracle backups is a bit different.  Once a month (during
our special month end processing) we shut down Oracle and do a cold backup
of the Oracle DB files.  The rest of the time we simply back up the Redo Log
Archives.  This can make for a long restore depending on how long it was
since the cold backup but I've only had to do it twice in 9 years (and one
of those times was entirely my fault).  You could modify that and do a cold
backup once a week which would reduce the potential number of redo log
archives you need to restore.

Other parts of our Oracle backup 'system' include directives (in .nsr files)
that specify skipping the Oracle database (*.dbf) files, a couple of scripts
to rename the .nsr files during the cold backup so those (.dbf) files are
backed up (and then to rename the directive files back to .nsr).  There is
also a script that monitors the space available on the file system where the
redo log archives are written and triggers a backup and deletion of those
files when the fs gets too full.

If it makes any difference we are running all of this on Solaris but the
Networker Server is on W2K.

David Werth
Garmin AT, Inc
(formerly: UPS Aviation Technologies)