Networker

Re: [Networker] sg driver versus Adaptec?

2004-01-12 20:28:12
Subject: Re: [Networker] sg driver versus Adaptec?
From: Byron Servies <bservies AT PACANG DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 17:28:05 -0800
On January 12, 2004 at 19:18, George Sinclair wrote:
> Okay, makes sense now. Legato is relying on this higer level driver
> which itself handles communication to the more vendor specific one -- in
> his case, the Adaptec.
>
> I did nothing myself to these cards. I simply installed them and ran the
> normal kudzu config. I did not overly go in and change the SCSI host id
> of the cards so they should be set to however they were shipped. I could
> reboot the host and enter the BIOS of each card and check, though. What
> should this value be? Since we have three of these cards on the host
> (two are being used by Storagetek libary and third is being used by ATL
> library), what should their respective values be set to?

They can all be set to the same thing, and are probably all set
to 7 now (normal, and used to be hard-coded on Windows).  The
host id refers to the SCSI id of the card itself on that cards
bus, which is why they can all be the same. Anyway, don't set
your devices to 7, or whatever the host id is set to.

As far as I know, there is no way to tell what the host id is
set to without a reboot, but they probably are all 7 if you
didn't change anything.  NetWorker assumes it is 7 unless you have
set the NSR_SCSIn_ID environment variable to another value, where n
is the SCSI host as determined by the OS (e.g. For
/proc/scsi/aix7xxx/0, n=0).

Sorry there doesn't appear to be a quick answer for you here,
George,

Byron