Networker

Re: [Networker] Redirecting messages with savegrp

2003-12-19 16:03:53
Subject: Re: [Networker] Redirecting messages with savegrp
From: Tim Mooney <mooney AT DOGBERT.CC.NDSU.NODAK DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 15:03:44 -0600
In regard to: [Networker] Redirecting messages with savegrp, King, David -...:

>I'm trying to redirect command line messages to a text file from savegrp
>(6.1.3) as follows:
>
>        savegrp -vvvvv daily > daily.txt
>
>....does not work.  It creates the text file, but writes nothing to it.
>
>Any advice?   (It works with mminfo.)

Did you try redirecting stderr as well?  E.g.

        savegrp -vvvvvv daily > daily.txt 2> daily-stderr.txt

and then look to see what's in each file.  That will tell you what file
descriptor savegrp is writing to.

Note: most applications send debugging/verbose output to stderr, and
"normal" output goes to stdout.  mminfo *normally* produces output, being
you're running it to gather information, so it's normal for it to write to
stdout.  If mminfo had any kind of error or warning to report, it would
hopefully report it to stderr.

savegrp, on the other hand, normally *doesn't* produce output.  When
things work, they work silently.  That means that warnings or errors are
not expected, so when they happen savegrp probably writes them to the
stderr file descriptor.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney AT dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak DOT edu