Networker

Re: [Networker] Free backup software?

2003-12-19 02:20:45
Subject: Re: [Networker] Free backup software?
From: "Tarjei T. Jensen" <tarjei.jensen AT AKERKVAERNER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 02:20:49 -0500
Davina Treiber  wrote:

>I know this is slightly off-topic, but with all the backup experience on
>this list I can't think of a better place to ask my question.
>
>I am looking for a backup solution for a friend. I have found him a small
>tape library, and want some software to backup his one Windows 2000 machine
>with 200GB of crucial data - his life's research work. NetWorker could do
it
>well, but is just not economical for a home user with a single machine. I
>want to be able to control the jukebox properly, not just in loader mode.
It
>would be nice if the software was free, or relatively inexpensive. I have
>taken a quick look at Arkeia and Amanda, but these seem to require a Unix
or
>Linux backup server. What could he use? NT Backup? Backup Exec? Anything
better?

Actually, Networker would do very well. He can do a few emergency backups
using the preliminary license keys. Then he will have a good backup and can
spend some time finding a more permanent solution. After all, Legato will
always do restores.

There is various implementations of GNU tar for windows. Perhaps even cpio.
However I suspect that any buildt-in backup software will work better for
the user than tar.

There is Amanda, but it needs a Unix environment, but can use Samba to back
up windows.

There is also the possibility of getting hold of a reasonably priced DVD-
burner and use that for backup. Either with backup software or the software
that comes with the drive.

You may find http://www.backupcentral.com/free-backup-software6.html of
interest.

greetings,