Networker

Re: [Networker] Advice on a specs for a Sun

2003-12-03 04:57:17
Subject: Re: [Networker] Advice on a specs for a Sun
From: "T. S. Kimball" <tkimball AT BRASS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 04:57:11 -0500
We have an L700 (690 slot) with 8 x DLT-7000 drives here.

It's being driven by a single Sun E-450: 4 x 480 Mhz CPU, 4 Gig Mem,
five PCI SCSI cards (one tape drive on _each_ bus, plus one bus for
the library), and a Gigabit-Fiber card.  This server has done well for
past three years, even with all eight drives spinning.

Software is Solaris 2.6 and Sun/Legato SBU 6.1.3.

We use four 36 Gig internal drives because two of them are mirrors:
The boot disk is mirrored via dd, and the dedicated /nsr disk will
mirror on Solstice Disksuite (in progress anyway).  A second disk bus
was added for redundancy.

The real issue for us now is the capacity of DLT-IV media.  Hopefully
we'll have a chance to get better drives on-line next year (using
AlphaStor for migration access).  That's when a storage node will be
brought on-line too, since we're admittedly near the edge a bit
already on I/O.

Hope this helps,
--TSK

=====                                                         =====
Timothy S. Kimball
System Administrator, 3rd/Night Shift            tkimball AT brass DOT com
=====              #include <std_disclaimers.h>               =====

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, George Sinclair wrote:

> Our network is a standard switched 100 mbit ethernet for most hosts and
> gigabit ethernet for a few of the heavy hitters. The backups run across
> the same wires as all the rest of the network traffic. Backups typically
> run at night so there's little network traffic to interfere. Compression
> is done on the devices, not the clients. Our original justification for
> the storage node was to free up some of the burden on the main server as
> more and more clients were coming under the backups, especially ones
> with large file systems. I guess we could have just bought a bigger,
> more powerful server, but the idea of the storage node, the cheaper cost
> of licensing, etc. jsut appealed to us.
>
> Also, having a storage node gave us the opportunity to play with running
> NetWorker under Linux without having to switch the primary server from
> Sun to Linux until we could first evaluate how well the libraries worked
> under Linux. If we'd never had these problems, I would have migrated
> everything to the Linux storage node, set it up as the primary server
> and then made the sun a storage node, keeping in mind, of course,
> possible problems with little versus big endian. Having a storage node
> server also seemed like a good way to increase the parallelism, but
> perhaps most importantly, it seemed like a good way to cover ourselves
> in the event that the library on the main server was not responding. I
> think having a storage node server is a nice thing and not so much a
> burden as long as it works,  but we've had nothing but problems with the
> SCSI communication so this is really the justification for replacing it
> with a Sun to see how the SCSI works there.
>
> George

 [snip]

STATEMENT OF CONFIDENTIALITY

and may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not
the intended recipient, please notify SunGard Trading Systems immediately
at (201) 499-5900 and destroy all copies of this message and any
attachments.