Networker

Re: [Networker] Thoughts on Cloning

2003-11-12 12:09:10
Subject: Re: [Networker] Thoughts on Cloning
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 09:09:03 -0800

> I was looking for feedback on how you do cloning. We have a rather large
> environment and takes us 4 days to complet cloning. We clone about 18TB. We
> only have one pool and clone all the FULL save sets via a home grown script.

When cloning, are you reading and writing from the tapes an an
"appropriate" speed (I use iostat to confirm)?  Are you handing nsrclone
a volume or savesets?  One or a list?

You mention a home grown script.  One of the ways to get a really slow
clone is to write your initial backups multiplexed to a tape, then do
nonmultipliex (single ssid) clones.  It'll take far longer to clone than
backup.

You don't mention exactly what you're doing or any other observations,
so that's just a guess.

18 TB / 4 days => 52 MB/s, correct?  That's not shabby depending on
your technology.  You may not need any help.  :-)

Unix System Administrator                    Taos - The SysAdmin Company