Networker

[Networker] NSR problem backing up Windows 2000

2003-11-07 14:16:13
Subject: [Networker] NSR problem backing up Windows 2000
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 14:16:03 -0500
Hello NetWorker users;

We have a Windows 2000 server here that refuses to allow full backups.
This server has a C:\ and a D:\ drive. Sometimes, the C:\ drive backups up
fully, other times, it doesn't. We got the C:\ drive to do a full backup
twice today, but the D:\ drive continues to present a problem.  The D:\
drive fails to back up almost all the time for full backups. Incrementals
seem okay. The previous date when both disk drives received a full backup
was October 16.

I have placed this server in its own savegroup just for testing purposes.
When that savegroup finishes, the nwadmin GUI still shows backup activity
for this particular host and it continues for about half an hour before
the save streams time out due to inactivity.

The usual troubleshooting measures such as verifying reverse look ups on
the Windows client and our Solaris 9 Legato server. Both client and server
can nslookup each other. Our Network services people say they have dropped
their firewall for this server. There's no local software firewall
software running on the server or client. The client's NIC driver is
current and the settings on the NIC are specific, not auto-detect.

Both the Legato client and the Legato server are running version 6.1.3 of
the Legato software and all backups are done via our Legato server's
gigabit card. The Legato server is a Sun Enterprise 450 running Solaris 9.
We're not having problems with other clients of this nature.

We get errors such as:

* this_server.temple:C:\ save: RPC error: Unable to send
11/07/03 13:51:39 savegrp: this_server.temple:C:\ will retry 0 more time(s)
11/07/03 13:51:40 savegrp: killing pid 21140
* this_server.temple:D:\ save: RPC error: Unable to send

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this issue would be appreciated.