Networker

Re: [Networker] Slow Netware Backups

2003-10-20 14:00:07
Subject: Re: [Networker] Slow Netware Backups
From: Librado Pamintuan <LPAMINTU AT REGINA DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 11:57:57 -0600
Thanks for the info regarding this subject matter/problem.

Yes, the Netware server has about 2 millions files in it. It is our
Data server, so we have lots of MS Word, Excel and Access data, as well
as graphic document from Visio, Adobe, etc.
We are currently trying the multiple savesets option and the throughput
is good, but we're getting lots of these errors which we normally don't
encounter on 'All' saveset.

* fs1:Vol1:\Data\Socdev Connection timed out
* fs1:Vol1:\Data\Pensions 5 retries attempted
* fs1:Vol1:\Data\Pensions Protocol wrong type for socket

Librado

>>> tarjei.jensen AT KVAERNER DOT COM 10/20/03 12:17am >>>
Librado Pamintuan wrote:

>Hello All,
>Is it on the design of Legato Networker that a backup of Netware
server
>using 'All' produces only 1 stream and very slow (800 KB/s to 1
MB/s)?
>We have tried everything from NIC card settings to NetWare NLMs and
the
>latest NetWare client pack from Legato and still we cannot get a
decent
>throughput.
[snip]
>Environment: NW for AIX v6.1.3 (AIX O/S 4.3.3)
>Client: NetWare v4.21 (NetWare v6)

There might be more than one problem. If you have a lot of small
files,
then backup will be slow. A DLT7000 need a certain amount of data per
second in order to stream. It will usually help to include other
backup
clients with a netware backup.

In order to fix this problem, you should probably back up to disk. You
should either use one or more disk for staging or do the backup to disk
and
then clone to tape.

Lastly, but perhaps not very likely in this case: If you have a gigE
card
on your NetWorker server, it might be old and may not work very well
with
the Legato Client on the NetWare server. Usually if this is the case,
you
should get a throughput of around 50KB/s per networker session.

greetings,

--
Note: To sign off this list, send a "signoff networker" command via
email