Networker

Re: [Networker] St.conf setting for LTO2 drives

2003-10-20 11:48:24
Subject: Re: [Networker] St.conf setting for LTO2 drives
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 11:46:52 -0400
We're running LTO first generation drives on a Linux storage node
server, and prior to creating an st.conf file we saw a lot of these
"tape positioning by record disabled" messages. It made recoveries too
long and caused other problems. As soon as we created that file with the
proper enries, the problems went away. This was within the lasy year.

Our primary server is a Sun running Solaris, and we also had to add some
entries to the st.conf file there, too, but that was a long, long time
ago, way before LTO ever came out. We use an ATL Quantum library on the
Sun, and I remember we had to add these "magic" numbers to the st.conf
file on there. Guess that was the slang term. I've since heard, though,
that this is no longer necessary? Not sure if that has something to do
with newer version of NetWorker, libraries or Solaris? I know I saw some
talk about this in the forum a few months back. Hmm ... We're running
Solaris 2.8 with NetWorker 6.1.1.

Kind regards.

George