Networker

[Networker] Backing up deleted files security question?

2003-10-15 11:07:48
Subject: [Networker] Backing up deleted files security question?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 11:07:43 -0400
I have a security question here. Let's suppose I create a file on a unix
system, and then I delete it, and let's further suppose that I have some
utility that can write zeros to the formerly occupied blocks to prevent
anyone from potentially reading the data previously associated with said
file. If NetWorker backs up the parent file system after the file has
been deleted, but before the blocks have been overwritten (cleaned), is
there any possibility that the data blocks that still contain the data
could be backed up in some way? We're running NetWorker 6.1.1 under
Solaris 2.8 server with Storagenode running same version under Linux. We
have some PCs that access data on Samba shares from unix hosts where
this could be a concern.

I'm thinking that NetWorker is backing up files only and not by block so
it should not be a problem, but thought I'd check. I mean, recovery is
by file so anyone who recovered everything under the file system should
never see the affected data, right?

BTW, anyone know of any free software to wipe disk blocks or properly
erase a file for PCs or unix?

Thanks.

George