Networker

[Networker] Cannot Recover "old" data of client

2003-10-09 09:57:45
Subject: [Networker] Cannot Recover "old" data of client
From: Riaan Louwrens <riaanl AT SOURCECONSULTING.CO DOT ZA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 16:07:07 +0200
Hi All, (I know its long winded, but it should have all the required detail)

Been scratching my now itchy beard the last couple days.

We have a client that "had" to upgrade to a new backup server (new physical
machine, SCSI, library, OS etc).

That was done (in a record time if I might add).

We then had the onerous task of trying to get his "old" clients's indexes up
so that recoveries could be run, now this is where I have been kept up,
without food and water (and hence shaving) ...

As a precaution to the new setup I copied all of the detail of the "old"
clients that were being backed up to a txt file. i.e. Name and client-id. So
that I could re-create them "exactly" the same on the new backup server.

For some reason the old server was 6.2 on WinNT (they clicked the wrong line
in the html setup screen).

The "new" server is 6.1.3 on Win2000.

I copied the "old" indexes into the "new" server's directories and ran a
NSRCK -L6 on all of the clients. It (for each of the clients) showed records
and space being occupied.

The Media (mm folder) was copied over as well. I can see the "indexes" in
the Legato admin screen - as well as all the volumes and the savesets on the
volumes.

I cannot do a restore (or directed restore) from the "Networker User" GUI.
It states - no savesets found.

If I do a backup of a certain client - it will then show that there are
savesets to be recovered - but these will be from that specific test backup
only.

The Client had a naming change (went to AD) so all of the previous clients
got a extention to their names. By adding that "new" name in the ALIAS they
were still able to do backups (and recoveries) of all their clients (on the
old server).

If you look in the "old" server's index directory - there is more than one
index directory for each client - short name, old long name, new long name
??

(I tried copying all of these, and running NSRCK -L6 on all of the different
names - to no avail).

I havent tried recovering any indexes from Tape (they dont have easy access
to the tapes).

I havent tried creating "new" clients on the new backup server with the old
names. I wonder if they will then have to have extra client licenses ?

I am getting desperate about now and the sharp edge of the shaving blade is
looking all the more inviting ... (joke).

Any ideas, suggestions ?

All help given will be sorely, truly, life-savingly appreciated.

Regards,

Riaan