Networker

Re: [Networker] Problem with NDMP backups

2003-09-30 12:29:24
Subject: Re: [Networker] Problem with NDMP backups
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 12:27:07 -0400
On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, Terry Lemons wrote:

>Most NAS servers have some way to run a backup locally, or at least to check
>the health of the backup processes.  Can you 'log in' to your Mirapoint
>server, and do something like this?  If you can remove NetWorker from the
>equation, you can figure out where the problem lies.

Unfortunately, our Mirapoint servers are locked down tight. Only
Mirapoint's personnel can do anything on them more than rudimentary stuff.
I just set up the usual entries in nwadmin to back up our development
Mirapoint NDMP server. I then kicked off a backup and it is working fine.
The production NDMP clients all fail.

A reboot earlier today of our Legato server did not change the situation
for our production NDMP clients.

Why would only one out of five NDMP clients work? As far as I can see,
they all have the same type of setup on our Legato server and they are all
have the same tape drives available to them and same type of tape media?