Networker

Re: [Networker] Savepnpc is failing on a MacOS client

2003-09-25 05:00:40
Subject: Re: [Networker] Savepnpc is failing on a MacOS client
From: Davina Treiber <treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 05:00:42 -0400
On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 08:34:46 -0400, Michael Hurst <mhurst AT NOC.UTORONTO DOT

wrote:

>We are backing up a Mac OS X client to a Solaris NetWorker server, both
using NW6.1.3.  I created the savepnpc as outlined on pg 205
>(Appendix C) of the Release Supplement for UNIX 6.1.x.  In the
savepnpc.log on the client (the only place this error is reported)
>the savepnpc is failing with:
>preclntsave: The tmp file for the group exists. Another savepnpc may be
running. Else, please remove the <group>.tmp file

>This error is reported in a Legato bug LGTpa43071 but not for Mac OS X
clients.

I'm not familiar with the MAc client, but I believe the message you are
seeing is just a warning.

I think they gave savepnpc to a junior programmer who hadn't a clue how it
worked. They were trying to fix the long running problem with the tmp file.
At 6.1.2 they introduced a pointless and confusing error message. At 6.1.3
they changed the text of the message, making it even more confusing. It
didn't fix the problem they were trying to address. At 6.2 they broke it
altogether.

The only version with a truly working savepnpc is 7.0.