Networker

Re: [Networker] transporting backup media through airports

2003-09-24 17:41:16
Subject: Re: [Networker] transporting backup media through airports
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 17:40:39 -0400
On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Day, David wrote:

>Has anyone transported backup media as either carry-on luggage or baggage
>when they flew?  I'm looking for information related to x-ray and hand-held
>wand scanners and walk through portals and their effects on data.
>
>If it matters, the media is LTO and DLT.

I don't have experience with that, but if you intend to travel by air in
the United States, you can check http://www.tsa.gov/ and definitely
consult with someone at the airline you plan to use.

If I was in a position where I had to transport important tape media via
commercial airline, I would hand-carry the cartridges on the plane and
clone them before leaving if at all possible and perhaps send copies via
snail mail to the destination.