Networker

Re: [Networker] Thanks to Davina and Ted!!!

2003-09-24 08:47:51
Subject: Re: [Networker] Thanks to Davina and Ted!!!
From: Davina Treiber <Treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 07:58:22 +0100
George Sinclair wrote:

1. After having merged in this full index from 01/26/03, I noticed that
I can now browse back to November 24, 2003, but not any earlier. I would
have thought that merging in that old index would only allow me to go
back to 01/26/03, but it looks like NetWorker does more than just give
you the pieces parts from that date. It appears that it merges in the
entirety of the index as of that time. So, as of 01/26/03, I would have
been able to browse back to 11/24/03, so it maintains this?

Pretty much the way you describe it. It takes all the index data from
the index save set on tape, then puts them in the media database and
applies the CURRENT browse and retention policies as defined in your
client resources, and it applies them from the current time. If you have
multiple client resources for the client, what does it do? Perhaps it
will use the one that matches the original group used for the backup,
since the group used is also an attribute in the 6.x media DB. I could
be wrong about this bit, I'm just guessing, it might just take the
longest available.

2. Why can I also now browse stuff from every date between 11/24/03 and
now? I mean, why would recovering that old index allow me to browse
stuff from say March 2003? I haven't actually tried recovering anything
after 01/26/03, but I would think it would give me the "nothing in
index" message if I tried anything between the oldest stuff in the
current browse policy and anything "after" 01/26/03. I guess NetWorker
has to increase the index to allow that older merged stuff in, but where
did the entries from March 2003, April 2003, etc. come from? They would
not have been contained in a full index from January 2003, right? And
the browse policy on this client is only one month.

This doesn't sound possible. You only have two parts of the index, one
that you already had on disk, and one much older that you took from the
tape. There should be a gap in between, I don't see how it can be any
other way. Maybe you could do some recover tests?