Networker

[Networker] Using the BACKUP COMMAND CUSTOMIZATION functionality of the client resource.

2003-09-11 09:48:57
Subject: [Networker] Using the BACKUP COMMAND CUSTOMIZATION functionality of the client resource.
From: "Jim.Martin" <Jim.Martin AT TARGET DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 08:48:48 -0500
I have the need to execute a custom backup script on the client to
generate the backup list as am backing up a cluster (Veritas Cluster
Server ,VCS) that networker is not aware of.   Networker will look only
at /etc/vfstab when ALL is places in the saveset list of the client
resource.   As shared file systems are not managed there - I need to
hard code a list of files to be backed up for a virtual client name.
This is limited to non-ORACLE RMAN files.    I am not happy about hard
code as will be out of date as soon as I am done.   I find reference to
'backup command customization' in  CHAPTER 4 of the Networker admin
guide.   There it implies that I can specify an alternative backup
command, which can be a script placed in /bin, where save is located.  I
also need to have a save command in the script.    It then appears to me
that I can then include in the script logic that will discover what file
systems are present that need to be included, followed by successive
save commands containing these file systems.   I can get it to find my
script, but it then tries to use the backup command specified against
the contents of the saveset list field.   The only reason I am scripting
this solution is to bypass the saveset list field for the reasons
mentioned above.      Is there some undocumented solution that I am not
seeing.   I believe that Legato's response is that a PS engagement is
required to get this going.    Any body been down this path?  I have
think yes as VCS is fairly ubiquitous.

Jim Martin
Target Corporation
Sr. Systems Engineer - Storage Area Management
612.304.3426
jim.martin AT target DOT com