Networker

Re: [Networker] Taking an index set out of service

2003-09-10 08:52:38
Subject: Re: [Networker] Taking an index set out of service
From: Pat OBrien <Pat.OBrien AT CHOICEPOINT DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 08:52:20 -0400
my 2 cents are you are creating a big pain in the rump, unless you perform some
real awesome mminfo reports and nsrinfo reports AND are real comfortable with
scanner restores with/into *asms.  Why you might ask, is that volumes and
savesets are kept via numbering systems, and not bringing the old indexes
along, to populate those numbers have a real high probability of those volid
and ssid numbers being reused in the new systems by other savesets and volumes
of your more current info.  This means that you can not scan the tapes into
your new media database because of the conflicting volume id and/or ssid's( you
would cause media and/or index corruption).  This does not mean you can not
restore from those tapes, but that the restore can not be a saveset recover or
a command line recover but MUST be of the form scanner command piped into a
*asm with many flags etc to perform the command in the method you intended and
oh by the way you will need ssid for save sets etc and will not have media or
save set browse capabilities.