Networker

[Networker] One system write to two drives @ once?

2003-09-10 08:07:26
Subject: [Networker] One system write to two drives @ once?
From: Tammy George <tammy.george AT ACADIAU DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 08:07:21 -0400
Hello.

We are evaluating our present backup configuration and the bosses have
asked me if it is possible for one server to write to two tapes at once.  I'm
thinking we can't but have no evidence to back this up so I'm hoping someone
here can validate or deny my suspicions.

We have two DLT7000 drives.  Networker runs on a Unix box & we backup unix
systems, novell servers & NT systems.  When backups run, it appears that each
server is only capable of writing to one tape at a time - many systems run at
once & we have 4 or 5 systems writing to each tape at a time.

For example, one of our servers is ACE - Novell server.  It's over 200 gig in
size & presently takes around 10 hours to backup (while other systems are
running at the same time).  And it writes to only one tape at a time.  Would it
be
possible to configure it to write to two tapes at once?

Hope I didn't confuse the issue too much.

Thanks in advance for any information.