Networker

[Networker] Advantages of disk to disk backup

2003-08-26 09:58:21
Subject: [Networker] Advantages of disk to disk backup
From: Mark T Wragge <storage AT TTT DOT IE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 14:56:07 +0100
Hi,  I am trying to determine the advantages of using disk to disk backup for a
Networker server.  The networker server would have 500gb of disk and the total
client data would be 200gb.  The client backups would be performed across the
network as the disk is attached to the networker server. So my network will
still be utilised by the backup,

What kind of performance increase would I expect when using disk rather than
tape? (I realise that the model of server/disk will effect this so in this case
the disk will be internal to the compaq server).
Will the benefits be enough to recommend disk to disk backup rather than a tape
san?
Can I configure a SAN storage node to use SAN disk as a file type device?

Thanks and Regards,  Mark