Networker

Re: [Networker] problems reading tapes

2003-08-22 17:03:58
Subject: Re: [Networker] problems reading tapes
From: Chad Smykay <csmykay AT RACKSPACE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 16:03:36 -0500
I have seen issues where Removable Storage Service has caused issues
with other types of backup software.  However we are an all Linux
environment and don't run into these issues.  So I am not sure that if
it is enabled what it would do to Legato.

Also some quick SAN notes. Are you using zoning at all?  If you are it
is a good idea to be sure that you have a zone for each target
initiator.  Meaning if you have the Sun server and the Windows server
and all of your tape drives in one zone this is CAN cause issues, but I
don't think that is the case here. It is recommended that you create a
zone for each target.  For example ZONE1 would have the Sun server and
all tape drives.  ZONE2 would have the Win2k server and all of the tape
drives.

When you say you set the block size on both servers how did you go about
doing this?  I know on Sun there is an stinit file or something similar
to set the block size for.  Additional you need to make sure that you
use the following environment variables when you start up Networker.

NSR_DEV_BLOCK_SIZE_8MM_AIT_2=<BLOCK_SIZE>
NSR_DEV_BLOCK_SIZE_8MM_AIT_3=<BLOCK_SIZE>

It is possible that the operating system is determining the block size
and this could vary from OS to OS.

Let me know how it goes because I have had similar issues with block
size settings before.

Regards,
Chad Smykay