Networker

Re: [Networker] Anyone using an ADIC Scalar i2000

2003-08-20 18:56:59
Subject: Re: [Networker] Anyone using an ADIC Scalar i2000
From: "Willeat, Todd" <TWilleat AT MHP.SMHS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 17:54:50 -0500
OK, I've had my i2000 for a week now, so here are my thoughts...

The Product:
So far, the library seems nice. I really like the interface and the remote
console software looks exactly like the touchscreen. The robotics seem
pretty quick and have worked perfectly so far. However, its pretty loud when
it grabs a tape. According to the engineer that installed it, that's just
the clips locking onto the tape and is normal. Since this is my first
experience with LTO-2, I'll have to trust him... The only other problem I've
had was a drive/drive-sled that went bad after 3 days (Friday night, of
course). Unfortunately, this basically locked up my entire Fibre Channel
bus, preventing access to everything. Once it was replaced, everything
worked normally again.

Support:
The engineers that installed it seemed fairly knowledgable and got it
working pretty quickly. The engineers that replaced the drive took much
longer than I would expect (2hrs?!?), but I think they wanted to test (and
learn) everything since its still new to them. They did not have a drive
available in St. Louis, so an engineer from Kansas City got one there and
drove over 200 miles to St. Louis to replace it. I also got a call from an
engineer in Minneapolis that was going to fly to St. Louis to replace it. I
let him know that someone was coming from KC and he said he would call the
KC engineer to see which one (or both ??) of them would be coming. I guess
this is why support contracts cost so much...

Sales:
This was my first ADIC purchase, so I hope this isn't the norm for them. The
library didn't ship until over a month after it was supposed to. They kept
asking if they could ship early, but without the I/O blade. I told them that
was fine as long as they brought the I/O blade for the installation. Then
they told me that waiting for the I/O blade to be installed before shipping
would be faster. In talking with the pre-sales engineer, I found that
redundant power was an option. After a couple days, they finally agreed to
give us the redundant power at no charge since they "did not make it clear
that it was an option" (i.e. - all they ever mentioned was 2N power -
BEWARE!). Of course, when we received the library, the redundant power was
NOT included. They ended up overnighting it to us...

Hopefully this is helpful to you...