Networker

[Networker] Strange performance issues since NetWorker upgrade

2003-08-20 13:12:25
Subject: [Networker] Strange performance issues since NetWorker upgrade
From: "Saunderson,Michael Robert" <SAUNDEMR AT APCI DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 16:28:53 +0100
Hello all,

I'm hoping there's a brain or two that can throw some ideas or light on the
following scenario (sorry if it's a bit long winded):

Up until just over a month ago we were running NetWorker 5.1 on HP-UX 10.20.
This system ran backups at good speeds, but was highly prone to falling over
and NetWorker itself would often suffer from freezes.

To attempt to solve this (and other support issues), we moved NetWorker across
to newer hardware with the /nsr directory stored on striped disks, faster
processors, more memory, etc. The OS this newer system runs is HP-UX 11.0.
Following the move to the new system, we have noticed a significant reduction
in the speed of data streaming down to the tape drives and as a result many of
our larger backups are failing to complete due to lack of time. We have since
upgraded to NetWorker 6.1.3, but this has made no change to the situation.

The new server has identical numbers of SCSI channels and NICs. There are no
apparent network configuration issues as the neither the cards nor the switch
show any errors. Test FTPs also run at good speeds. The system also isn't
logging any SCSI errors. A local backup of /nsr runs at very good speed until
additional backup streams come in across the network.

Our vendor went through all the usual settings such as Parallelism, Drive
Sessions, etc., but all to no avail.

Does anyone have any further ideas where we could start looking?

Many thanks for any thoughts,

Michael Saunderson.

+