Networker

Re: [Networker] NetWorker 7.0 on AIX

2003-08-14 09:13:10
Subject: Re: [Networker] NetWorker 7.0 on AIX
From: "Shipe, Ed B." <ed.shipe AT NGC DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 06:03:01 -0700
The AIX smc driver is interfering with Networker's access to the changer --
if it loads, NetWorker won't be able to use the arm.  That's why it worked
when you changed the SCSI ids before the admin re-run cfgmgr -- AIX
hadn't loaded drivers for the new SCSI IDs.

Workaround:

Do an rmdev (forgot the switches) on the smc0 device.  Networker will
now be able to see/use the changer.   Add that command to a startup
script somewhere so that it gets run each time the system boots.
You can put it in the NetWorker scripts, but keep in mind that it
will be overwritten if you update Networker.  You will also have
to do an rmdev if the sysadmin runs cfgmgr (discovery process) again.

I heard there was an RFE to fix this in a better way, but I haven't
seen anything and it's been a while.  After banging my head on this
once and seeing others with it, I really wish they'd add this
to the release notes.

-ed shipe