Networker

Re: [Networker] How to tell if someone is getting backed up

2003-08-13 14:35:36
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to tell if someone is getting backed up
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 14:35:28 -0400
There are lots of ways. They could run nwadmin and then saveset recover
and then select their client and poke around in the listed file systems
to see when those file systems were last backed up. I find this easier
myself, but it will only identify the parent file system which could be
confusing to some users. They could run nwrecover and then check the
affected directories and or files to see if they're listed. If they're
already in their home directory, the results will default to that
location, making it easier than nwadmin. Make sure to select the
appropriate browse time, though. Finally, they could run 'mminfo -s
servername | grep client_name'. Of course, this will only return
information for savesets in the last 24 hours, but they could specify
older dates using '-q' as something like:

mminfo -s servername -q 'savetime>=08/12/03,savetime<=08/13/03' | grep
client.

This would show all savesets from yesterday. I guess they could also get
fancier with something like this:

mminfo -s servername -q
'client=client_name,name=desired_file_system,savetime>=08/12/03,savetime<=08/13/03'

but there's a lot of options for mminfo, so you'll need to look to
determine what would be easiest for them. One thing with the mminfo
command, though, is that they'll need to make certain that an entry for
index:client shows up for the desired date; otherwise, they will not be
able to browse the affected savesets for that date, so something like
nwrecover would not work. And, if they're specifying the client name
then they will NOT see the index. This is why I prefer the '| grep
client_name" technique since the index shows up.

Hope this helps.

George