Networker

Re: [Networker] Exchange Module Licensing

2003-08-12 03:34:15
Subject: Re: [Networker] Exchange Module Licensing
From: "Voetelink D." <voetelink AT ECN DOT NL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 09:34:09 +0200
James Edwards wrote:

The way I have always understood it is that the number of machines you can
back up is based on the number of client licenses you have, not on the
particular operating system.  The operating systems (NT, Unix, Novell, etc)
or types of software (Oracle, Exchange, Informix) you can back up is
dependant on the modules.  So, if you have an exchange module, an NT module,
a Unix module and a 10 client license, you can back up 10 machines with any
combination of operating systems and software.  In my experience, the
software licenses don't take away from the client count as long as the OS is
counted.

So, using the above licenses, let's say you had 5 NT machines and 5 Unix
machines.  2 of the NT machines are running Exchange.  You are covered with
your current licenses.  Let's say you decided to add two Novell machines to
the mix.  You would have to buy two more client licenses and a Novell
module.  If you wanted to add Oracle to one of the Unix machines, you would
just need to buy an Oracle module.

This has always been my understanding and I know this is the way it works in
versions before 7 (I haven't used 7).  This is somewhat borne out by the way
they sell them.  Only client licenses come as bundles, you only buy one
module per machine.

This sounds familiar. Also, we have enough licenses to make the way above work.
On the other hand, if networker7 requires a module license for each exchange/sql
client, we may have a problem....

Anyone from Legato reading this who can shed some light on the issue?

Dennis