Networker

[Networker] COMP recovers of non-uasm save streams (was re creating a new asm)

2003-08-08 14:59:29
Subject: [Networker] COMP recovers of non-uasm save streams (was re creating a new asm)
From: steve rader <rader AT GINSENG.HEP.WISC DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 13:26:17 -0500
 >>> I'd like to save Unix standard output streams (eg AFS "vos
 >>> dump") directly into Networker. [...]

 >> Does anyone have a "hideasm" handy? [...]

 > You're in luck...  This one came from an old IRIX distribution. [...]

Thanks!

With brute strength, ignorance and perl, I've written a
proof-of-concept asm that encapsulates tar output into a networker
save stream.  It works at the command line like uasm, for example:

  (cd /etc; myasm -s motd) | (cd /tmp; myasm -r)
  sum /etc/motd /tmp/motd

I got Networker to use this asm to save files, ah, I think.
At least the "save -v" shows that it's being used and the summary
output lists the correct size and file count.

But now the problem is: how the heck do I get the data back?!?
No surprisingly, recover doesn't "see" the files (via the on-line
indexes.)  And recovering the whole save set (via -S) doesn't
work either.

Anybody have any ideas?  Maybe details about how to restore
Oracle or other non-uasm save streams would help?

steve
- - -