Networker

Re: [Networker] Savegroup Parallelism problems

2003-08-01 03:58:14
Subject: Re: [Networker] Savegroup Parallelism problems
From: Frank Altpeter <f.altpeter AT BROADNET-MEDIASCAPE DOT DE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 09:58:08 +0200
Hello!

Carl Farnsworth wrote on 2003-07-31 11:28:34 -0400:
> I think this is not really a problem with Savegroup or Client Parallelism -
> do you also see time-out errors in the Savegroup Completion report?
No...

> If you were to look at the daemon.log, I think you'll find there are time-out
> messages in there, then it may restart the same session, or go on to the
> next one.
That's right, there are timeout messages and retry attempts.

>  The thing is, there is really only one session saving at a time -
>  it's either a bug with the GUI, or an internal auditing bug where the
> saveset gets abandoned, but somehow it's not cleared completely.  If you
> watch the monitor window closely you'll see the size of one stop growing,
> then a new session starts up.  Do these eventually go away some hours after
> aborting the group?
And that's the point where i have to say no... i was really seeing
every of the four mentioned save sets, that were listed in the gui,
saving data and increasing the amount of saved data.
That's why i'm so confused...

> I saw the same situation not too long ago, but in a Win2K environment, all
> 6.1.3.  In this case the client is behind a firewall, and I'm assuming it's
> network connectivity which causes this problem - especially since when
> first installed, the client behaved perfectly!!  Then one day, it simply
> stopped working - somebody changed something, somewhere ...  Still no
> answer, but double-check network config and routing between client and
> host - do either have multiple NICS?
Hmmm, the host mentioned is behind a firewall, and nearly every
system has two NICs, one for the external and one in the backup-only
network. But everything seems fine. The backup server is granted
full access to the client (permit any from backupserver_ip to
client), and they are communicating just fine in all other things
(ssh, http, ftp, ...).

With kind regards,

        Frank Altpeter