Networker

Re: [Networker] So it's official...

2003-07-10 02:32:08
Subject: Re: [Networker] So it's official...
From: "Tarjei T. Jensen" <tarjei.jensen AT KVAERNER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 02:32:09 -0400
Day, David wrote:

>>However I'm not entirely sure that EMC would be the best owner. I don't
>>think they put enough effort into the tools I've used from them.
>
>What tools have you used that are lacking?  When EMC and Hitachi competed
>for our SAN we were very impressed with EMC's software suite ($$$) but went
>with Hitachi through HP so never had the opportunity to use them.

Symmetrix manager (on Unix). Problems: Obtuse error/problem messages, no
way of keeping statistics, if you ask for mail on certain conditions; it
will send mail every two minutes as long as the condition lasts. It is also
aggravatingly slow to work with.

>EMC appeared to be one of the better suitors.  My expectations are better
>development and support if this sale goes through but higher cost for the
>product.  We recently entertained sidegrading to Veritas and their pricing
>remained static while Legato continued to discount their bids.  Ultimately
>this made the decision to stay Legato very easy but I wondered how they
>could afford to do business like that.

They just want to keep their customers until sombody bought them. The cost
of having you as customer is probably a lot less than what you pay. So it
makes sense to keep you on board.

greetings,