Networker

Re: [Networker] 7.0 Experience

2003-07-01 12:05:53
Subject: Re: [Networker] 7.0 Experience
From: "Reed, Ted G II [ITS]" <ted.reed AT MAIL.SPRINT DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 11:05:47 -0500
When it first started occurring on an every night basis, we did all forms of
standard troubleshooting, including truss.  There was nothing out of the
ordinary (mostly db work??  been a while).  We even had a Legato "Healthcheck"
performed by one of their techs.  His conclusion....we must be doing something
right if we're getting 8TB per night to 20 drives.

That was under 6.1.1.  Since we have moved to 6.1.3, at least nsrd is lower
during the day then it used to be....and we're seeing fewer media criticals.
But it still is the case that if we start to fall behind on media requests,
everything starts to bog and it gets worse and worse as time progresses.  Last
Saturday, one of our staff spent 10 hours playing mount catch-up because the
nodes had fallen behind so badly.  And each time our guy got close to clearing
the mount requests, 2 or 3 tapes would hit Full status and legato would demand
additional tapes.

FYI...part of the issue is 9840 tapes.  Since they are 20G native, they can
fill very quickly.....and they have a tendency to do so in groups, so you go
from "Waiting for 1 writable volumes" to "Waiting for 5 writable volumes" in a
matter of seconds.  Classic one step forward, two steps back.
We are going to 9940B drives (200G native), which we hope will wipe out this
issue by decreasing the tape mount requests to ~10% of original numbers.
Regardless, that doesn't stop my current environment from queuing
legato-initiated tape mounts which results in a need for manual intervention.

--Ted