Networker

Re: [Networker] A time to choose

2003-06-29 20:04:33
Subject: Re: [Networker] A time to choose
From: Brendan Sandes <Brendan.Sandes AT DSE.VIC.GOV DOT AU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 10:03:02 +1000
Hi Maarten.

The only thing I can add, is we have a couple of SUN L20 (which are HP
units) and a couple of sun L180 (which are a storage tek unit using IBM
drives).  The only difference, is in the way the barcode readers read the
labels.  We have barcodes that have a small 'L1' on the end of the barcode
label.  The HP drives pick this up and the IBM drives do not.  The only
result of this is that if we transfer tapes from one unit to another, I
have to use the -E switch to the nsrjb to force it to read the electronic
label as Legato thinks the tape is a new tape otherwise.

Other than that, no problems.

Brendan

maarten.boot AT NL.COMPUWARE DOT COM
Sent by: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
27/06/2003 07:47 PM
Please respond to
NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU; Please respond to
maarten.boot AT NL.COMPUWARE DOT COM

NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
cc

Subject
[Networker] A time to choose

Dear Networkers,

Currently we use DLT7000 drives and are looking into choosing a new
generation
of media. Obvious choices are LTO SDLT and AIT. The idea is to slowly
start
moving one of our pools. Others will follow as we buy more drives.

Backup server Solaris 8 / E450 / 2 400 Mhz cpu / 1Gb mem

Our backup rate is approx 400 Gb per night  over 350 clients both servers
and
desktops. Network infra structure is 1G backbone , most desktops and all
servers 100 FD.

Currently no capacity problems on the server side as the network cannot
deliver more data than the server or the tapes can handle.

Experiences with interoperability of LTO (drives by diiferent vendors)
would
be nice.

We do see that AIT is cheaper, but heard stories of increased head-wear
due to
helical scan technique.

The plan is to do backups to disk first and then spool them to tape.

Any ideas are welcome,

Maarten