Networker

[Networker] How Verify SQL restoration

2003-06-26 14:49:33
Subject: [Networker] How Verify SQL restoration
From: "O. Ahmed" <sufi_wanna_be AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 14:39:31 -0400
I manage an application that uses SQL 2000 for its backend. I have ben
tasked to work with our Disaster Recovery Team to verify that the backups
are actually usuable.

Can anyone please tell me what is a reasonable measure of verifying a
database's integrity and that of the data?

Should we:

* Depend on the size of DB as a measure of successful backups (compare the
last full w/ the production)?

* Recreate/replicate the Application and database connectivity to verify a
successful backup process?

OR is there a better middle of the road approach we can use?

We have limited resources and I don't think a full recreation of the
application-db environment will be possible.

BTW, I am not the NW Legato admin so please excuse my ignorance around this
issue.
Regards
O. Ahmed