Networker

Re: [Networker] netware clients on different subnets

2003-06-24 12:56:32
Subject: Re: [Networker] netware clients on different subnets
From: Tim Mooney <mooney AT DOGBERT.CC.NDSU.NODAK DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 11:56:28 -0500
In regard to: Re: [Networker] netware clients on different subnets, Brendan...:

>Unfortunately, we are implementing a new solution so no, they've never
>worked on this subnet.  The only netware computers that they've worked on
>are the ones on the subnet local the the backup server and they're
>relatively new installations as well.
>
>Networker Server:  SUN E450 quad 450Mhz running solaris 2.8 (latest
>cluster patch as or about may)
>Backup Server:   Version: Solstice Backup 6.1.3.Build.428 Network
>Edition/80
>Backup Client Version:  4.21.  Netware version (both netware6 and netware
>4 - Mostly 6)

When you say different subnet, you're not actually talking about netware
boxes that are multi-homed (i.e. have multiple NICs), are you?  If your
clients only have one NIC, I can't see what the problem would be.  If
they have multiple NICs, I have an idea...

>Then as per sejca's suggeston, tried the following which all came backup
>positive
>ping server from client and client from server (both names and IP
>addresses) - all happy
>traceroute from server to client and client to server (also both names and
>IP addresses) - all happy
>Also tried putting the networker server into the hosts file on the netware
>client (no joy - client still crashes)

What about rpcinfo?  From your backup server:

$rpcinfo -p the-client-fqdn-here
   program vers proto   port  service
    100000    3   udp    111  rpcbind
    100000    2   udp    111  rpcbind
    100000    3   tcp    111  rpcbind
    100000    2   tcp    111  rpcbind
    390112    1   tcp    902

$rpcinfo -p the-client-IP-addr-here
   program vers proto   port  service
    100000    3   udp    111  rpcbind
    100000    2   udp    111  rpcbind
    100000    3   tcp    111  rpcbind
    100000    2   tcp    111  rpcbind
    390112    1   tcp    902

Then from your netware client:

        load rpcinfo -p your-server-fqdn-here

Connecting to RPCXDR in circuit_v...
rpcinfo: can't contact portmapper: rpcinfo: Program/version mismatch; low
version = 2, high version = 2
Connecting to Portmapper in circuit_v...
   program vers proto   port
    100000    2   tcp    111
    100000    2   udp    111
    390115    1   tcp  28239
    390113    1   tcp   7937
    390103    2   tcp   9346  nsrd
    390109    2   tcp   9346
    390110    1   tcp   9346
    390103    2   udp   9347  nsrd
    390109    2   udp   9347
    390110    1   udp   9347
    390105    5   tcp   8198  nsrindexd
    390105    6   tcp   8198  nsrindexd
    390107    5   tcp   9563  nsrmmdbdd
    390107    6   tcp   9563  nsrmmdbdd
    390104  105   tcp   8617  nsrmmd
    390104  205   tcp   8581  nsrmmd
    390104  305   tcp   9088  nsrmmd
    390104  405   tcp   8076  nsrmmd

<Press any key to close screen>

and do the same thing for the IP address.

Does that work?

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney AT dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak DOT edu