Networker

Re: [Networker] What is a ClientPak ?

2003-06-20 05:16:12
Subject: Re: [Networker] What is a ClientPak ?
From: George Scott <George.Scott AT ITS.MONASH.EDU DOT AU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 19:15:33 +1000
Alexandre,

> Ok, but with that in mind, why would a ClientPak for NT be installed on an
> NT Server (Networker 5.7) ???? D'you think the other admin was drunk or
> something ? ;)

Maybe just misguided.

> As I said I'm going to upgrade that server to v7 in the near future. The
> new server will have to backup NT/2000 boxes and Solaris 2.6/8 boxes. No
> other Unix flavors.
> Will I need a Clientpak for Solaris/Unix ? Cause the sales guy is talking
> to me about a "Legato Networker Client Connection for Windows/Unix - Qty
> 25". Would that also work ?

ClientPak's and Client Connection's are two different things.  Most
sites end up needing both.

First, some Legato-speak: a "data zone" is all the machines involved with
one server.  In your case it is your one NT server, your NT/2000 boxes,
and your Solaris 2.6/8 boxes.

A ClientPak is a data zone wide license for the client software.  So a
"ClientPak for NT" is the license for the client software that you
install on NT-based clients.  A "ClientPak for UNIX" is for the client
software that you install on UNIX clients (for the benefit of others:
in this context Linux is not UNIX).

Now, like Ty said, a server comes with the ability to backup clients
with the same OS as itself already built in.  In your case, your
NT-based server will be able to backup other NT-based clients without a
ClientPak.  Having one installed won't hurt; it is just a waste.

For you to be able to backup your Solaris-based clients you are going
to need a ClientPak for UNIX.

On the other hand "Client Connection" licenses are licenses to backup
particular clients.  You need one for every client that you want to
backup.  If you want to backup 56 clients you are going to need 56
Client Connection licenses.

A server comes with 10 Client Connection licenses built in.  (I seem to
remember that these licenses are restricted to clients of the same type
as the server, but maybe that is wrong.)

The number of Client Connections that you are going to need will depend
on the number of clients that you want to backup.

As well as this you are probably going to need an "Update" license to
allow NSR 7 to work.  The good news is that these are no extra cost if
you have annual maintenance.

There are also many other types of licenses.  Every time you turn
around to do something new there is a Legato salesman standing there
with his hand out.

BTW, AFAIK you will have to upgrade to NSR 6 first, before you upgrade
to NSR 7.

Also, older versions of NSR didn't enforce licensing as strictly as
more recent versions do.  Many people have upgraded only to discover
that something that they used to get away with no longer works.  This
stricter enforcing has been introduced bit by bit, sometimes with minor
point revisions (like from 5.5.3 to 5.5.4).

George.
--
George Scott           George.Scott AT its.monash DOT edu
Systems Programmer, IT Services, Monash University