Networker

Re: [Networker] random '! no output' failures for Netware volumes

2003-06-19 23:44:00
Subject: Re: [Networker] random '! no output' failures for Netware volumes
From: George Scott <George.Scott AT ITS.MONASH.EDU DOT AU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 13:43:36 +1000
Tim,

> Clients: NetWorker 4.21 on NetWare 4.11 and 6, up to date with software
> patches (according to our NetWare admins).  Various hardware configs.
>
> We regularly see seemingly random problems with volumes on one or more of
> our Netware boxes failing with '! no output':
>
> * foo.nodak.edu:VOL2: ! no output
> * bar.nodak.edu:VOL5: ! no output

Yep, it has been like this forever (since we started using NetWorker),
so it isn't a new-to-NSR6 problem.

I noticed that it was intermittent but that its frequency seemed to be
related to how busy the server was so I:

- have a separate group for our NetWare clients and run it before the
  main group.

- I wound up the "client retries".

- wound back "group parallelism" a bit (once we went to NSR6).

Reduced the pain level quite a bit.

A year or two back someone posted a reasonable-looking explanation of
what causes this but I no longer remember the details.

George.
--
George Scott           George.Scott AT its.monash DOT edu
Systems Programmer, IT Services, Monash University