Networker

[Networker] Automatic Hard drive Staging always chooses the wrong amount of data to stage to tape

2003-06-18 17:04:48
Subject: [Networker] Automatic Hard drive Staging always chooses the wrong amount of data to stage to tape
From: "Thomas, Calvin" <calvin.thomas AT NACALOGISTICS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 14:04:47 -0700
I have a question for anyone:
If you are using automatic staging (I'm using it in NW7.0, but I had the
same problem with NW6.1.1), have you seen this problem?

Automatic staging chooses the wrong amount of data to stage from HD to Tape
all the time.  IE, I have the following set.
26% high water mark
25% low water mark
3 days Max storage period
Oldest save set < save set selection.

I just manually ran the "check file system" command from the drop down
window at the bottom of the page, and it selected 162 GB to stage.  Problem
is there is only 162GB on the entire file system, and most of it is under 3
days old.  Our Hard drive system is 300GB.  I make it as being about 60%
used.  Going from 60% used to 25% used is 90GB, not 162GB.
This is not the first time I have had this problem, in fact it seems to
choose the wrong amount to stage virtually every time.  Automatic or manual,
it makes no difference.

Any thoughts, or recommendations.

Calvin E. Thomas
UNIX System Administrator
NACA Logistics

Courtesy Alert :

Please be advised that US Customs will begin enforcing a NO DOCS, NO LOAD
procedure for ALL EXPORTS from the USA from the 01st of October 2003. As a
result of that policy, any presentation of late documentation could result in
your cargo not being loaded and/or penalties and fines.