Networker

[Networker] Windows incremental backing up too many files?

2003-06-05 10:51:12
Subject: [Networker] Windows incremental backing up too many files?
From: Dave Mussulman <mussulma AT CS.UIUC DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 09:50:58 -0500
I'm going to return the Windows 2000 / archive bit / change journal
discussion for a little bit.  I'm tired of my Windows servers burning
through my incremental tapes with data that hasn't actually changed, and
I'm looking for solutions but had some questions.

How does turning on the change journal work around this issue?  Does
Windows not use the archive bit anymore with the change journal enabled?

To test, how do I manually turn off the archive bit for a file?

What version of Networker supports using the change journal?

If I decide to set NSR_AVOID_ARCHIVE on my server, what are the
situations where data would not get backed up?  This server manages a
lot of redirected folders, so I'm a little hesitant to set something
that might miss data without understanding exactly how first.

Thanks,

Dave