Networker

[Networker] Version advice

2003-06-04 19:09:48
Subject: [Networker] Version advice
From: Dave Werth <iim1dfw AT IIM.UPS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 16:09:34 -0700
We are currently running Networker 5.5.2 on Windows NT 4.0 backing up 6
other NT 4.0 systems and one Solaris 7 system.  Our total backup volume is
on the order of 5GB for daily incrementals and 50-60GB for a full backup.
All of our backups are automatically cloned.  Our backup device is a
Spectralogic Bullfrog with 2 AIT-II drives (40 slots).  We have decided it's
time to upgrade to a new version of Networker.

The question I have is what version (6.?, 7?) should I upgrade to.  Our new
server will be W2K Server (it does have to be a server, right?  Not a
workstation?).  Is there any reason for us not to go to V7?  We won't be
using any of the new features, just doing what we have been doing.  As long
as that works we're happy.  If I do decide to go to V7 I suppose in order to
bring the existing indexes with me I'll have to first go through V6.  Any
version of 6 or does it have to be 6.0 to convert indexes?

I know I could RTFM for much of this information but it wouldn't be able to
tell me what version would be best for me so any advice will be appreciated.

TIA, Dave

David Werth
UPS Aviation Technologies
(formerly: II Morrow)