Networker

[Networker] What is dlt1 and how to identify dlt type?

2003-05-30 13:45:34
Subject: [Networker] What is dlt1 and how to identify dlt type?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 13:44:44 -0400
Hi,

Was just looking over the media device type choices that the jbconfig
command offers for dlt devices. I see dlt, dlt1, dlt7000 and dlt8000.
Anyone know what dlt1 is?

Also, is there a way to determine whether a given dlt volume is a dlt
type III or type IIIxt versus a dlt type IV if you don't have the tape?
mminfo only offers 'type' which in our case is either 'dlt7000' or 'dlt'
for our dlt media (non-sdlt). In the case of dlt7000, I know it's a type
IV because we cannot write to type III tapes in there, we can only read,
but we were using a Quantum DLT4700 for a while and an older autoloader
that could only write to type IIIxt tapes, no type IVs. Obviously, both
of these can work with type III media, but mminfo only identifies
volumes from these as 'dlt', no more details than that. I can look at
the capacity and the amount written to gain some clue, but it gets
tricky because we did not have the default capacity set correctly for
the device under nwadmin back when we were using many of the older
tapes, so I can't really rely on the 'capacity' value. Also, the amount
written does not seem to be a reliable figure in many cases as it
appears to vary greatly from one to another. So, if I see something like
25 GB that might be a type IIIxt that managed to get close to the 15/30
compression ratio, or it might be a type IV that was written in the 4700
(4000 drive with 7 slots) that only got slightly more than the default
capacity of 20/40.

Thanks.

George