Networker

Re: [Networker] netware client perfromance problems

2003-05-30 03:45:05
Subject: Re: [Networker] netware client perfromance problems
From: John Gowing <johng AT SOURCECONSULTING.CO DOT ZA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 09:39:45 +0200
Hi, I've just joined and so have not followed this entire thread, but maybe
this will provide food for thought.

1. Disk drive read performance. In these days of >15MBsec tape drives
(SDLT,LTO) the tape write performance easily exceeds the sustained read
capability of a single disk drive, currently in the order of 7-10MBsec for a
high performance drive. So you must provide disk arrays if you need to keep
a tape drive streaming.
2. I don't remember the details but I am prety sure that Networker is clever
enough to understand the disk/volume relationships of the sources. It will
not allow multiple savestreams from a single disk device. Again arrays are
the answer.
3. There are a number of Disk performance tools available, use one that
reads your disk and throws the data stream to measure absolute read
performance.

John Gowing Source Consulting

From: "Robert Maiello" <robert.maiello AT MEDEC DOT COM>
> I'd have to concur with what Tim's stated here..   We did break out our
> large Netware box into 2 clients.  We listed the top level directories in
> the volume (there was only 1 big volume) as savesets of each client.  We
> did setup directives much like Andrew suggested where the one client still
> included the top level volume but skipped all the subdirectories.  The
> directives and this technique work well for getting multiple streams from
> a netware box.   Each client runs at a seperate time from a different
group.

> Unfortunately, the performance stays flat ..about 5 to 7 MB/sec.. even
going
> gigabit to gigabit and using SDLT drives.
>
> Robert Maiello
> Thomson Healthcare
>

> On Wed, 28 May 2003 23:17:24 -0500, Tim Mooney
> <mooney AT DOGBERT.CC.NDSU.NODAK DOT EDU> wrote:
>
> >In regard to: [Networker] netware client perfromance problems,
Brendan...: