Networker

Re: [Networker] Does NetWorker lock files during backup?

2003-05-27 17:16:29
Subject: Re: [Networker] Does NetWorker lock files during backup?
From: "Mark Bradshaw (BTOpenWorld)" <notthehoople AT BTOPENWORLD DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 20:08:59 +0100
Hi Roger,

As far as I know the answer is "No" for any platform unless you are using a
NetWorker Database Module. However, depending on what platform you are using
you may see file-lock issues with other products during NetWorker backups.

For example on Windows NT if you shutdown an Oracle database and then run a
filesystem backup you will not be able to startup the Oracle database again
while the backup is still running and accessing the database files. Oracle
tries to get an exclusive lock on its database files when it starts up and
will be prevented from doing this while Networker is reading the file for
backup.

Do you have a specific problem which has prompted your question?

Cheers

Mark