Networker

[Networker] recovery of files with whitespaces

2003-05-23 04:30:41
Subject: [Networker] recovery of files with whitespaces
From: Ingo Roschmann <ingo AT VISIONET DOT DE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 04:30:40 -0400
Hi all,

We are using Networker 6.1.1, server is Solaris 8, client is Win2k.
We want to recover a file which name contains whitespaces with the
Networker User GUI on the Windows machine.
We can browse the file in question, but when trying to recover, Networker
tells us, there be nothing in index.

The problem seems to be that the GUI hands the request over to the
commandline 'recover' which interprets the filename as several distinct
filenames, none of which is a valid filename, of course.
The workaround is to recover the file on the commandline, escaping the
filename by quoting.

BUT: What will happen if I try to recover a whole directory that contains
such files with the GUI? What will happen if I do it on the commandline?
And it's very inconvenient, too.

Is this our own special problem, or is it a known issue?
Does anyone know another, better solution?

Thanks,
Ingo