Networker

Re: [Networker] "skip" schedules are running

2003-05-21 20:23:30
Subject: Re: [Networker] "skip" schedules are running
From: "David E. Nelson" <david.nelson AT NI DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 19:23:29 -0500
Hi Dave,

> When you set 'skip' in the schedule it still starts the backup.  It just
> doesn't back anything up (except for maybe the bootstrap if the Networker
> server is involved).

True.  I've just submitted the data to the list showing contrary - very weird
indeed.  I first got bit with this problem a couple days ago because a similar
job shutdown a production/training Oracle DB - ouch.  It's tough telling my
boss's boss's boss that I don't have an answer as to why the DB went down - it
was supposed to be a hot backup.

So this afternoon I scheduled a backup job that didn't use any 'Backup command'
and sure enough it backed up.  So I can take any of my scripts out of the loop
of blame.

> When you look at the savegroup completion logs does it say 'level=skip'?  If
> so then it's working correctly.

Yes and no.  The 'last run:' field says it did run.  The 'completion:' field
says it didn't.  And trust me it did - I kill the job via 'Group Control'.  I
guess it's possible (most likely) that the 'last start' would be updated even
though 'skip' was scheduled.  However, I did have to go through the GUI and
'Group Control' and kill the job.

                       type: NSR group;
                        name: TBoxArchWeekend;
                   autostart: Enabled;
                 autorestart: Disabled;
                    stop now: False;
                  start time: "16:00";
                  last start: "Wed May 21 16:00:00 2003";
                    interval: "24:00";
                  completion: tbox, /u06/oracledbf, "succeeded:skip:save",
"tbox:/u06/oracledbf     level=skip, pool=TBoxWeekend, save as of Wed May 21 \
17:03:48 GMT-0500 2003",
                              tbox, index, "succeeded:skip:index",
"tbox:index              level=skip, pool=TBoxWeekend, save as of Wed May 21 \
17:03:49 GMT-0500 2003";

Regards,
        /\/elson