Networker

[Networker] Archive vs Backup

2003-05-21 11:58:38
Subject: [Networker] Archive vs Backup
From: Yuri Pismerov <ypismerov AT TUCOWS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 11:58:38 -0400
I'm trying to understand what is the real difference between archive
and regular full backup with long retention policy. Basically I need to
justify purchase of the Networker archive feature license. So the
questions is, if I did the following:

        - create a regular backup pool with really long retention policy;
        - perform a full backup of the files I need to archive;
        - document (physically write down) the date of the backup was taken
so
I be able to browse the index by changing the browse time;
        - remove the files I backed up from the hard drive;
        - mark the tape as read-only and eject it.

        Would it be sort of replacement for archive ? Or there is something
more that archive feature would allow me to do ?

 TIA.